The Common Admission Test, popularly known as the CAT exam, is a gateway to the prestigious business schools in India. Every year, thousands of MBA aspirants strive to crack this competitive examination, hoping to secure a seat in the leading B-schools, including the esteemed IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management). If you’re considering taking the CAT this year, the first step is to familiarize yourself with the registration process. Here’s a detailed breakdown to help you navigate the CAT exam registration smoothly.
What is the CAT Exam?
The CAT exam is a computer-based test that evaluates candidates on their quantitative, verbal, and analytical abilities. It serves as a standard measure to select the most suitable students for management programs in India.
Importance and Relevance of CAT Exam for MBA Aspirants
Achieving a high score in the CAT exam can open doors to some of the best MBA programs in India. Not only does it ensure world-class education and training, but it also increases your potential for placements in top-notch companies with lucrative packages.
CAT Exam Dates 2024
|Registration Begins||August 2024(Tentative)|
|CAT Exam 2024 Application Form Last Date||September 2024 (Tentative)|
|CAT Exam Form Correction Window||September 2024 (Tentative)|
|CAT Exam Admit Card 2024 becomes available||October 2024 (Tentative)|
CAT Exam Eligibility Criteria 2024
Before diving into the CAT Exam registration process, it’s vital to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria. The candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. However, there’s a relaxation for SC, ST, and PWD candidates, typically requiring 45%.
Read More: CAT Exam Syllabus 2024
CAT Exam Registration Process 2024
The CAT (Common Admission Test) registration process is the initial step for candidates aiming to get into India’s top-tier business schools. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of the CAT exam registration process:
STEP 1 :Visit the Official CAT Website
Head to the official CAT website to find all the relevant details regarding the examination and application process.
STEP 2: Create an Account
- Click on the “Register Now” or “New Registration” option.
- Provide essential details, such as your name, date of birth, mobile number, and email address.
- Once submitted, you’ll receive an OTP (One-Time Password) on your registered mobile number and email.
- Enter the OTP to verify your credentials.
STEP 3: Set a Password
- Post verification, you’ll be prompted to set a password. This will be essential for future logins.
STEP 4: Login with Credentials
- Using the generated User ID and the set password, log in to the CAT application portal.
Read More: CAT Exam Pattern 2024
STEP 5: Fill Out the CAT ExamApplication Form
- Personal Information: Enter details like your name, parents’ name, contact information, etc.
- Academic Qualifications: Provide your educational history, including the board, marks obtained, university, etc.
- Work Experience: If you have any work experience, mention the details.
- Program Preference: Select the IIM programs you’re interested in, based on your qualifications and preferences.
STEP 6: Choose Exam Centers
- You’ll typically be allowed to select multiple preferred cities for your test center. The system will assign a center in one of your chosen cities.
STEP 7 Upload Necessary Documents
- Passport-sized photograph and signature in the specified format (usually JPEG or JPG).
- Reserved category candidates need to upload their category/caste certificates.
Read More: CAT Exam Preparation books 2024
STEP 8:Payment of Application Fee
The fee varies based on the category:
- General Category: Approx. ₹2300
- SC/ST/PWD: Approx. ₹1150
- Modes of Payment: The fee can be paid through various online methods, including credit cards, debit cards, net banking, UPI, etc.
STEP 9 : Final Submission
- Review all the provided details for accuracy.
- Submit the application form.
- On successful submission, you’ll receive a confirmation email on your registered email ID
STEP 10 Download and Print the Confirmation
- It’s wise to download and print the confirmation page or email for your records.
Always keep an eye on the deadline for the CAT exam registration. It’s also recommended to register well in advance to avoid any last-minute technical glitches or issues.
Read More: Difference Between MAT and CAT Exam
Preparing for the CAT exam is a journey, and ensuring a smooth registration process sets the tone for your preparations. With a clear understanding of the CAT Exam registration process, you’re one step closer to achieving your MBA dreams. Happy preparing!
CAT Exam Registration FAQs
Q: What is the CAT exam??
A: CAT (Common Admission Test) is a computer-based test for admission into the postgraduate management courses in India, primarily for IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) and several other top B-schools in the country.
Q: When does the CAT exam registration usually begin?
A: CAT exam registration typically starts in the month of August every year. However, specific dates can vary, so it's essential to check the official CAT website or notifications.
Q: What is the eligibility criterion for the CAT exam?
A: A candidate must hold a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% for SC/ST/PWD candidates). Final year students can also apply, provided they produce a certificate of completion from their institution at the time of admission.
Q: How do I register for the CAT exam?
A:To register for CAT, you need to visit the official CAT website, create a profile, fill in the necessary details, upload required documents, and pay the registration fee.
Q: Can I edit my details after submitting the CAT registration form?
A:Yes, there is usually a window provided for correcting limited details in the CAT registration form after submission. However, some fields may remain non-editable. It's crucial to review your details carefully before final submission.