The CLAT Consortium of NLUs changed the CLAT exam pattern again for both UG and PG courses. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the examination will be held in a Socially Distanced Computer-Based Test (SDCBT) mode. The test will be conducted in online mode. The CLAT exam will have multiple choice type questions, from comprehension based passages. The CLAT PG program will have 120 MCQs to be answered in 120 minutes.
CLAT Exam Pattern 2020 [New]
The recent changes in the CLAT exam will include reducing the number of questions from 200 to 150. The questions will be asked from Quantitative Techniques, English, Current Affairs, Deductive Reasoning, and Logical Reasoning sections. Also, the conducting body has removed the descriptive section from the CLAT PG exam pattern.
- The number of questions asked in the PG program is reduced to 150 questions from 200. There will be paragraphs of 450 words each and each one will be followed by 4-5 MCQs.
- This reduction in the number of questions is because “asking students to answer 200 questions in 120 minutes is not right as it puts students under a lot of mental stress” said Prof. Faizan Mustafa, Vice-Chancellor, NALSAR.
- The questions asked in CLAT-UG program will be of the 12th standard level.
- The quantitative aptitude section will be of 10th standard level.
- In the CLAT PG program, there are 120 MCQs, the descriptive section and cut-off bar are removed.
- The changes in the CLAT 2020 exam pattern are done because of the COVID situation in the country.
CLAT Exam Pattern 2020 Highlights
|Exam||Common-Law Admission Test (CLAT)|
|Exam Date||August 22, 2020|
|Mode||Online mode, Computer-based|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Type Questions (MCQs) from given passages|
|Number of Questions
|Undergraduate Exam (BA LLB) – 150 multiple choice type questions.
Postgraduate Exam (LLM) – 120 questions.
|UG – 150 marks
PG – 120 marks
|Each objective question (both UG and PG) will carry 1 mark. An incorrect question will invite a penalty of 0.25 marks.
In the of PG exam, there won’t be any descriptive section
CLAT Syllabus 2020
|UG Program||PG Program|
|English (Comprehension & grammar-based)||Law of Torts|
|Legal Aptitude||Family Law|
|Logical Reasoning||Criminal Law|
|Elementary Mathematics (Including Numerical Ability)||International Law|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||Property Law|
|Law of Contracts|
|Intellectual Property Law|
CLAT 2020 Sectional Weightage
With the latest changes introduced in the CLAT 2020 exam, there are changes introduced in the subject-wise marks distribution. The section-wise marks distribution is given below:
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Percentage Weightage|
|English (Comprehension & grammar-based)||28-32 questions||20%|
|Legal Aptitude||35-39 questions||25%|
|Logical Reasoning||35-39 questions||25%|
|Elementary Mathematics (Including Numerical Ability)||28-32 questions||20%|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||13-17 questions||10%|
CLAT 2020 Marking Scheme
The marking scheme of the CLAT 2020 exam will remain the same as earlier. This means:
- For each correct answer, one mark is awarded.
- For each wrong answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted from the total score.
- For no questions attempted, no marks will be awarded or deducted.
Marks Distribution for CLAT PG program
|Subjects||Number of MCQs||Marks|
|Other Law Subjects including Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR and Jurisprudence.||60||60|
Importance of CLAT Exam Paper Pattern 2020
It is very important to know the CLAT exam pattern before the candidate starts his/her exam preparation. Below points will brief about the importance of the CLAT exam pattern 2020:
- If the candidate is aware of the exam pattern while preparing, then he/she can be time-efficient. The exam pattern will have detailed information about the CLAT exam which helps the students to structure their preparation and revise well.
- With the exam pattern, the candidates can structure their preparation. With the help of structure, the candidates can evaluate their strong and weak points. The candidates can also improve their time management skills.
CLAT Exam Paper Pattern FAQs
Q). How many questions will be asked in the CLAT UG Program?
A). According to the latest update, there will be 150 questions in the CLAT UG program.
Q). How many NLUs will be participating in the CLAT 2020 exam?
A). 22 NLUs will be participating in the CLAT 2020 exam.
Q). How many questions will be asked in the CLAT PG Program?
A). According to the latest update, there will be 120 questions in the CLAT PG program.
Q). Is there any negative marking in the CLAT 2020 exam?
A). For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded and for each wrong answer, 0.25 marks will be deducted.
Q). What is the mode of the CLAT 2020 exam?
A). CLAT 2020 exam will be conducted in the online mode.
Q). In this COVID-19 pandemic, how will the CLAT 2020 exam be conducted?
A). In the COVID-19 situation, the exam will be held in a Socially Distanced Computer-Based Test (SDCBT) mode.