The CLAT English Language section is an important section of the exam. Candidates can easily score well with the help of this section of CLAT. This subject demands a master’s in all the CLAT English Language topics like- Grammar, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, etc. In this article, students will learn about “How to Prepare English for CLAT?” with all tips, tricks, and strategies.
This section also needs practice but comparatively less than other sections of the exam. It is simple and complex, both at the same time. However, if any applicant misses out on vocabulary or topics of grammar, their possibilities drop considerably even before the exam starts. So it is important to prepare for this section.
How to Prepare For CLAT English 2025?
- The CLAT English Language section is one of the biggest sections, even with the new CLAT Exam Pattern.
- The English Language of CLAT has 35-38 questions of 150 marks.
- Before start preparing for English, candidates should know the CLAT English Language Syllabus.
- There is a negative marking (minus Marking) of 0.25 (1/4th) marks for each incorrect answer marked.
- Go down to the article to know the tips to prepare English for CLAT for each topic (Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Grammar) separately.
List of the CLAT English Important Topics 2025
Check the following points to know the important topics of the CLAT English Language Section for the students-
- Fill in the Blanks
- Idioms and Phrases
- Sentence Correction
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Question-Based in Comprehension
- Spelling Check
- Foreign Language Words
Reading Comprehension (RC) is the capacity to process text, understand its significance and integrate it with what the reader already comprehends. It is all about how the candidate processes the text, written, and answer. Check CLAT English Including Comprehension Questions.
- Each passage rotates around the central concept; thus, it becomes necessary to identify the central concept, which is implicit in the key determinations of the paragraph.
- The topic/ heading of the passage is acquired from this central concept only.
- While solving the RC question, do not just keep reading the passage. Take a glance at the questions and read the passage by keeping in mind the questions. So, candidates do not need to reread the passage for the questions.
- To boost the solving speed, it is compulsory to solve at least one comprehension-based question daily as a part of preparation.
The vocabulary questions are asked on the topics like- Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms, Thesaurus, Foreign Language Words, Spell Check, etc.
- The students whose vocab is not so good should start vocabulary exercises from today onwards.
- Start reading books, magazines, and daily newspapers to improve your vocabulary. While reading, note down a copy and try to use it in the daily routine while talking to the parents, guardians, siblings, etc.
- A book named- “Word Power Made Easy” by Norman Lewis is one of the best books to improve vocabulary.
- Solve quizzes based on the meaning of words, synonyms, and antonyms. Because it is simply memorizing the words won’t be of some help.
- Vocabulary building can be strengthened when candidates bring it into their daily routine. Whenever a candidate hears or reads a new word anywhere, look up its meaning and revise those words regularly.
Since we are studying grammar from school, most applicants still get confused about a sentence’s accuracy.
- What most applicants do is comprehend the approach “sounds right.” However, what applicants need to understand are the fundamental rules of Grammar.
- Capture the fundamental rules of grammar and then apply them to solving exercises under several topics.
- Structure of verbs and their usage, passive voice and active voice, articles et al.
Important Books to Prepare English for CLAT
- Word Power Made Easy- Norman Lewis
- 3- Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary
- Six Weeks- Wilfred Funk
- Any Good Books on Idioms and Phrases
- Better English- Norman Lewis
- Any Good Books on English Grammar- Wren and Martin
Tips to Prepare for CLAT English 2025
In the following points, know tips about How to Prepare CLAT for English:
- First, figure out the topics of the English Language in which candidates are facing the problem.
- Try to understand the right approach to solve those questions in which candidates are facing problems.
- Make a command on quizzes by attempting as many practice exercises as possible.
- Make reading habits, which will enhance the vocabulary and spoken English, and helps to keep updated.
- Follow a timetable, and remember to add a slot for doubt sessions and revision.
- Take the help of the CLAT Mock Test Series to prepare for the exam, which is available online.
- The English Langauge section of the CLAT exam covers only 20% of the total marks.
CLAT English Preparation FAQs
Q) Is Word Power Made Easy enough for CLAT?
A) Word power made easy is introduced to for vocabulary. Candidates must bear in mind that the level of questions examined in the CLAT exam, especially concerning vocabulary, is not that much difficult as compared to the other entrances exam.
Q) When should you start preparing for CLAT?
A) The best time to begin preparation for CLAT is when candidates are in Class 12. The ten-month period provides you ample time to prepare for both the 12th board and the CLAT exam.
Q) What is a good score for CLAT?
A) For candidates of the general category, any score above 92.75 can be termed a good score in the CLAT if any student aims for NLSIU Bangalore. This can be applied to all NLUs (National Law Universities).
Q) What are the topics to prepare for the CLAT English Section?
A) The CLAT English Language section's important topics include- Reading Comprehension, Subject-Verb Agreement, Antonyms, Synonyms, Sentence Transformation, Spotting Errors, Idioms, Phrases, One-Word Substitution, Vocabulary, etc.`