As we know, CLAT is the most prominent law event as per one of the entrance exams of the country. CLAT is going to be administered for admission into top Law colleges of India. Simultaneously, there should be a lot of judgment in their mind to know how to crack the exam before it’s too late to start preparation.
The preparation of the CLAT Legal Aptitude section is a bit confusing for the aspirants. So check the article to know “How to Prepare for CLAT Legal Aptitude?” We have provided the completed detailed preparation strategies with the set of samples of the questions asked in the exam. Download CLAT Question Papers PDFs.
How To Prepare For CLAT Legal Aptitude
- For CLAT Legal Aptitude, applicants do not need to understand the deep legal subjects. Only the basic knowledge of the subject is sufficient to clear the section of the CLAT Exam.
- The authorities have changed the CLAT Exam Pattern. The candidates are suggested to follow the new approach to prepare for the exam given with this article.
- The CLAT Legal Aptitude consists of four-five comprehensive passages of 450 words each.
- The content of the passages is based on topics like legal journals, news articles, editorials, etc. These include statements, counter-arguments, arguments, etc.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Analysis
Check out the table to know the analysis of the test scheme for the CLAT Legal Aptitude-
|Number of Passages||Four to Five passages of 450 words each|
|Type of questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) are asked from each passage|
|Total number of questions||● Each passage: 4 to 5
● Total number of questions: 35 – 39
|Syllabus of CLAT Legal aptitude (Content of passages)||To be drawn from news, public policy questions, legal matters, or moral philosophical inquiries|
|Skills to be tested||● Ability to Distinguish and understand the rules and principles given in the passage
● Application of rules: Apply the provided rules and principles to several fact situations
● Manipulating the given rules: Understand how changes to the rules or principles may modify their application to several fact circumstances.
Sections of CLAT Legal Aptitude
The CLAT Legal Aptitude is divided into three sections. Check the name of the sections with the topics in the following points & how to prepare CLAT for Legal Aptitude.
- Legal Reasoning- Indian Penal Code, Law of Torts, Law of Contract.
- Legal Facts- Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles, Preamble, Important Amendments, Important Judgements, Recommendations & Chairpersons of law commissions.
- Legal General Knowledge (GK)- Last six months Current Affairs, Read the daily newspaper (especially editorial section), etc.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Tips 2021
Here are some tricks and tips we have mentioned in the following points for the students preparing for the CLAT exam for admission to India’s top law colleges.
The students interested in making their career in Law should develop a reading habit, which helps to be updated with the latest news related to the legal and judgemental. Read the daily newspaper, magazines, legal journals, books pertaining to the laws (like- polity, constitution, etc.), etc.
While reading a newspaper, applicants should try to understand the fundamental theme, arguments, counter-arguments, and legal appearances given in the section.
Refer Study Materials for Legal Aptitude of CLAT
The CLAT Legal Aptitude Syllabus is the same as the previous year. However, the questions are not asked directly in the exam. The passage will be given to the aspirants, and questions are based on the passage. Applicants only need a fundamental basic familiarity with legal matters. Some conceptual precision helps to understand the passage quickly.
Students are suggested not to mug-up with the facts, and it is not the right approach to prepare for the exam.
Solving Sample Papers
There are many sample papers available on the internet for CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation. Students can download those papers for practice. With the help of CLAT Sample Papers, aspirants will get to know the difficulty level, exam pattern, and questions scheme of each section/topic.
Students can rely on the sample papers, which help to acquainted with the new exam scheme. Applicant s should solve several questions papers before going for the exam.
Previous Year Papers and Mock Test Series
Along with the sample papers, to prepare for the exam, students should practice from the CLAT Previous Year’s Question Paper as well. By solving previous year papers, students get to know about the number of questions asked from which topics most and less. Applicants may plan the strategy of preparation with the help of last year’s question paper of CLAT.
Also, there are various CLAT Mock Test Series available online. Many institutes have given free test series for students to practice and score well in the exam. Take advantage of those online test series and start practicing to score well in the exam.
Doubt Clearing Session
While creating a timetable to prepare for CLAT, students are suggested to make a slot for clearing their doubts. While practicing, students get so many doubts about the formulas, legal matters, etc. Doubt Session helps to solve the doubt on the same day. Clearing all doubts is necessary as this will help in scoring better marks. Also, clear basics of each and every subject help in the long run.
Most of the questions are asked in the passage form. So, it is important to have the speed to reading and understanding, which helps solve the problems within the time limit. Apart from this, boost the question-solving speed by practice more sample papers, CLAT Mock Test Series, Previous Year’s Papers, etc.
The complicated passages may consume a big part of the time. Hence, increase reading and understanding speed of the questions. Candidates should solve the CLAT Sample Papers in a real exam-type environment as per their timetable, under tight timelines. Check best books for CLAT.
As per the experts, students can set the time management by segregating the topics in the following manner-
- Total time to solve the section of legal aptitude- 25-35 minutes.
- Solving Direct Questions- 30-35 minutes
- Solving Tricky Questions- 40 sec-one minute.
CLAT Legal Aptitude Preparation Books
- Legal Aptitude/ Legal Reasoning- AP Bhardwaj for Legal Knowledge
- Complete CLAT Companion- Harsh Gagrani for Legal Aptitude (Both Reasoning and Knowledge).
- CLAT Magazine- LegalEdge for Current Legal Knowledge
How To Prepare For CLAT Legal Aptitude FAQs
Q) What is legal aptitude in CLAT?
A) Legal Reasoning is the most vital segment of the CLAT legal aptitude in terms of marks allocated. The other segment is Legal Knowledge, which consists of questions based on legal facts and current events associated with the Law.
Q) How many seats are there in CLAT?
A) The All India Seats for Under Graduate (UG) program is 1,308. Whereas the total number of CLAT seats offered to the state students where the National Law Universities (NLUs) are determined is 621. The total number of seats open for the special category is 325.
Q) How many questions will be asked from CLAT legal aptitude?
A) There are 4 to 5 passages in the CLATLlegal Aptitude section. Each passage will be followed by a set of 4-5 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Overall, there are a total of 35-39 questions.
Q) Will principle and facts-based questions be asked in the CLAT legal aptitude?
A) Yes, the rules, principles, and fact-based questions will be given in the passages. Candidates required basic knowledge about legal matters, rules, and principles to appear in the CLAT.
Q) What should I read to prepare for preparing CLAT legal aptitude?
A) Candidates should read the daily newspaper (especially editors column), magazines, read the books related to legal matters to develop the conceptual understanding.