The Bar Council of India administers the All India Bar Examination (AIBE) to law graduates who want to practice as lawyers. After passing the examination, the candidate will be awarded a certificate of practice and will be eligible to practice in any court in India. The All India Bar Examination is a certification exam held twice a year by the Bar Council of India for law graduates who wish to begin practising as lawyers. As an open-book exam, the exam is given in 50 cities with 140 centres.
What is AIBE Exam 2023
The exam is held to assess a member’s basic knowledge level, establish a minimum benchmark for entering the practice of law, and assess the candidate’s analytical skills. The candidate receives a certificate of practice from the Bar Council of India after passing the All India Bar Examination. Members who pass the exam can attend court hearings in tribunals, courts, or administrative bodies. The exam is a multi-choice model administered offline in three and a half hours.
AIBE Eligibility Criteria 2023
Candidates must meet all AIBE eligibility criteria to complete the AIBE (17) registration form. If the candidate is eligible for the exam, he or she is the only one who can earn the ‘Certificate of Practice’ and continue their legal career. AIBE written examinations will be held offline in various cities across India. Candidates must meet academic as well as other eligibility requirements. The AIBE 2022 eligibility criteria are listed below.
- The candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidate must hold a full-time LL.B degree from any institution in any state recognized by the Bar Council of India (BCI).
- The qualifying examination will not have any minimum mark requirements.
- Candidates are permitted to appear as many times as necessary. There will be no limit to the number of attempts.
- All candidates who completed their bachelor’s degree in LL.B after July 1, 2014, will be eligible to apply, regardless of their enrollment as an advocate on a State Bar Council for more than two years.
- Enrollment as an advocate with a State Bar Council will be required.
- The candidate must have a State Bar Council Advocate AIBE Admit Card 2023.
- Candidates who do not meet the State Bar Council’s eligibility requirements should not apply.
Read More: Best Books For AIBE Exam 2023
AIBE Exam Pattern 2023
|Exam mode||Paper-Based Test|
|Exam duration||3 hours 30 minutes|
|Test medium||11 languages|
|Subjects||19 law subjects|
|Total Questions||100 questions|
|Type of questions||MCQs|
|Marking Scheme||One mark for every correct option, no negative marking in case of wrong attempts.|
AIBE Syllabus 2023
The following are the key topics covered in the AIBE 2023 Exam:
- Constitutional Law
- Alternative Dispute Redressal, including Arbitration Act
- P.C (Criminal Procedure Code) and C.P.C (Code of Civil Procedure)
- Family Law
- P.C (Indian Penal Code)
- Evidence Act
- Administrative Law
- Professional Ethics & Cases of Professional Misconduct under BCI rules
- Labour & Industrial Laws
- Law of Tort, including the Motor Vehicle Act and Consumer Protection Law
- Public Interest Litigation
- Intellectual Property Laws
- Law of Contract, Specific Relief, Property Laws, Negotiable Instrument Act
- Company Law
- Environmental Law
- Cyber Law
- Land Acquisition Act
- Law related to Taxation
|Topic||No. of Questions|
|I.P.C (Indian Penal Code)||8|
|Cr.P.C (Criminal Procedure Code)||10|
|C.P.C (Code of Civil Procedure)||10|
|Alternative Dispute Redressal, including Arbitration Act||4|
|Public Interest Litigation||4|
|Professional Ethics & Cases of Professional Misconductunder BCI rules||4|
|Labour & Industrial Laws||4|
|Law of Tort, including the Motor Vehicle Act, consumer protection Law||5|
|Law concerning Taxation||4|
|Law of Contract, Specific Relief, Property Laws, and NegotiableInstrument Act||8|
|Land Acquisition Act||2|
|Intellectual Property Laws||2|
Read More: Download AIBE 2023 Syllabus PDF
How To Apply For AIBE 2023?
The Bar Council of India administers the All India Bar Examination in the following manner:
Step 1: Candidates must first apply for the AIBE exam online at BCI’s official website. The AIBE application process consists primarily of three stages: registration, application form completion, and application fee payment. AIBE application fees are INR 3,560 for General, OBC, Gen-PWD, and OBC-PWD categories and INR 2,560 for SC, ST, SC-PWD, and ST-PWD categories. Fees can be paid online (via Net Banking, Debit Card, or Credit Card) or offline (using bank challan).
Step 2: Candidates are issued an AIBE admit card after successfully submitting their applications. They must use their registration ID and password to download the admit card from the BCI’s official website. AIBE XVII admit card will include all important exam information such as test date, time, centre address, etc.
Step 3: Candidates must take the exam at the designated AIBE test centre. Previously, AIBE was an open-book examination, which allowed candidates to bring their study materials, such as books, notes, and so on, into the exam hall. However, beginning in 2021, AIBE will no longer be an open-book exam.
Step 4: After the exam, BCI publishes the AIBE answer key on its official website for candidates to review. The exam’s provisional and final answer keys are released by the Council. Candidates can estimate their exam scores using the AIBE answer key.
Step 5: BCI announces AIBE results on its official website after the final answer key is released. Candidates can access their AIBE exam results by entering their roll number and date of birth on the official website.
Step 6: Finally, candidates who pass the bar examination are given a Certificate of Practice. The BCI notifies qualified candidates when COP is available, after which they can obtain it from their state bar councils.
AIBE Result 2023
BCI will announce AIBE results within two months of the examination. Candidates can check their AIBE XVII qualifying status on the official website allindiabarexamination.com. By entering their enrollment number and date of birth, candidates can view their AIBE results. The results would simply show the candidate’s qualification status (qualified / not qualified).
How to View AIBE XVII 2022 Results?
- Visit the AIBE XVII official website.
- When you click on the result link in the website’s notification bar, a login window will open in a new tab.
- Enter your AIBE 2022 registration number and date of birth.
- The result of a successful login would be displayed on the screen.
- Print the result after downloading it.
AIBE Exam FAQs
Q) What is the minimum score required to pass the AIBE exam?
A) To qualify for AIBE, candidates must obtain 40% of the total score if they are in the General/OBC category, and 35% of the total score if they are in the SC/ST category.
Q) What happens if one fails the AIBE exam?
A) If a candidate fails to pass the AIBE exam, they may retake the exam at a later date. As a qualifying AIBE is required to practice law in India.
Q) When will AIBE passed candidates receive their Certificate of Practice?
A) In most cases, the Certificate of Practice is issued within thirty days of the AIBE result declaration.
Q) How many attempts are permitted for the AIBE exam?
A) The number of AIBE attempts is unlimited. Candidates may take the AIBE exam multiple times until they pass.