The National University of Study and Research in Law (NUSRL), Ranchi has announced the CLAT eligibility. Before any of the candidates apply for the CLAT entrance exam, it is advised to check the CLAT 2024 exam eligibility. Every participating NLU will have different eligibility criteria. Suppose the candidate does not match the CLAT eligibility criteria 2024, then there are chances that the candidate’s admission may be cancelled.
CLAT Eligibility Criteria 2024
The CLAT notification for the year 2024 is to be out soon. All the precautionary measures have been taken for the safety of students during the COVID-19 pandemic. CLAT is a Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for candidates aspiring to pursue 3 year LLB, 5 years Integrated LLB and LLM. The NLUs will conduct the national level exam for UG and PG programs.
The CLAT entrance eligibility depends on various factors like:
- Academic Qualification
CLAT UG Eligibility Criteria 2024
The CLAT eligibility varies for PG and UG programs. Given below is the CLAT eligibility for a 5-year integrated law program. Check the best books for CLAT.
Academic Qualification: To qualify for the CLAT 2024 exam, the candidate should have passed the Senior Secondary School Examination/ 12th Board Examination with the minimum marks mentioned below:
- 45%: For Unreserved /OBC /Specially abled Persons (SAP) and other categories.
- 40%: For SC/ST category.
General Criteria: Candidates who have appeared for the exam in April/May can register for CLAT 2024. While applying, the candidates should submit evidence of successfully clearing the examination. If they fail to do so, then he/she will lose their seat in CLAT 2024.
In the case of two candidates scoring the same marks, a tie-breaking procedure will be followed:
(i) Higher marks in the legal aptitude section in CLAT 2024
(ii) Higher age
(iii) A computerized draw of lots
CLAT Age Limit: There is no age limit in appearing for CLAT 2024 UG program.
Read More: How To Prepare For CLAT Legal Reasoning
CLAT PG Eligibility Criteria 2024
The CLAT exam offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates in the PG program offered by the NLUs and other private institutes which accept CLAT scores. Check how to fill CLAT Application Form.
Academic Qualification: Candidates who are appearing for the CLAT PG program should have a valid bachelor’s degree of 3 years or 5 years in Law or any equivalent exam. The cut off marks vary depending on the category:
- 50%: For Unreserved /OBC /Specially abled Persons (SAP) and other categories: a minimum of 50% marks are required.
- 45%: For SC/ ST category.
- Candidates appearing for CLAT 2024 should submit the final result of the qualifying examination within the time limit prescribed by the concerned University/Institute. Till then the students are given provisional admission.
General Criteria: While qualifying the examination, if two candidates have scored the same marks, the tie-breaking process will include:
(i) Higher age
(ii) A computerized draw of lots
Age Limit: Similar to the CLAT UG program, there is no age limit for the CLAT PG program.
Read More: How To Prepare For CLAT Mathematics
CLAT Eligibility Criteria for NRI
While allotting seats for CLAT, there is an NRI quota for NRI/NRI sponsored candidates. The admissions are given based on the CLAT merit list. Check the CLAT New Exam Pattern.
Points to note for NRI Eligibility
- The NRI candidates who are willing to take admissions in CLAT 2024 exam should contact the concerned university directly for admission formalities, eligibility, documents required, and other related queries for seeking admission under NRI/NRI sponsored category.
- The West Bengal NUJS Kolkata has different eligibility criteria:
- A total of 17 seats are reserved for the NRI candidates aspiring for admissions in UG courses. There are no seats available for the PG program.
- The CLAT office will release the list of students who are eligible for admissions under this category.
- Documents Required by NRI Candidates:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Student.
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months.
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the person is an NRI/OCI or PIO Card.
- Documents Required by sponsored NRI candidates:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Sponsor.
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months by the Sponsor.
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the Sponsor is an NRI/ OCI or PIO Card.
- An affidavit by the sponsor indicates the interest shown in the education affairs of the student and willingness to fund the education of the student over the next 5 years.
Who can be the sponsors for NRI sponsored students?
- The person who wants to sponsor the NRI candidate should be a first-degree relation of the candidate. And he/she shall be residing in abroad as a Non-Resident Indian.
- If the candidate does not have parents or near relatives or is taken as a ward by some other relative, then such students can also apply for admission. Provided the guardian should have legally treated the candidate as an award. The guardians coming under this category can file an affidavit mentioning their interest in the education of the candidate and their relationship with them The guardian should compulsorily be a Non-Resident Indian and ordinarily residing abroad.
Read More: CLAT Maths Syllabus 2024
CLAT Eligibility Criteria FAQs
Q). How many times a candidate can apply for CLAT 2024 exam?
A). As per the CLAT eligibility criteria 2024, the candidate can appear as many times they need, because there is no age limit for the CLAT exam.
Q). What is the minimum marks for an ST candidate to apply for CLAT 2024?
A). According to the CLAT entrance eligibility, the candidate should score a minimum of 40% marks in the 12th standard.
Q). What if the candidate is from a Science background? Can he/she apply?
A). Yes, the CLAT eligibility criteria 2024 depicts that the candidates from all academic backgrounds (Science/Commerce/Arts) can apply for the CLAT exam.
Q). What are the documents required for the candidates under the reserved category?
A). Those candidates who come under the reserved category should submit their caste certificate along with their academic qualification certificates at the time of admission.
Q). What if the candidate does not meet the CLAT eligibility criteria 2024?
A). The candidates who do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be given admission.