CLAT Notification 2021: The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a national level entrance exam for admissions to candidates in undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) law courses which are offered at 22 NLUs and other colleges/ universities accepting exam scores.
The NLUs conducted the exam on a rotational basis until 2018. Then, from 2019, The Consortium of NLUs, which is a permanent body formed by the universities started conducting the exam. The headquarters of the consortium is at NLSIU Bangalore. The headquarter comprises of
- An executive committee.
- The CLAT Convenor of the current year which is DNLU Jabalpur for CLAT 2021.
- The CLAT Convenor of the following year.
- Two co-opted Vice-Chancellors of NLU.
CLAT 2020 Latest Updates:
- The Consortium of NLUs announced on June 30, 2020, that Social Distanced Computer-Based Testing of CLAT 2020 will be held on August 22, 2020.
- According to the CLAT notification, the last date to submit the application form is extended till July 10.
- The Common Law Admission Test will be conducted at 203 test locations in the country.
- The CLAT – Law Entrance Exam for the LLM programme will have multiple-choice questions and no descriptive questions.
- Applicants who want to withdraw their CLAT – Law Entrance Exam application can do it by July 10, 2020.
- According to the CLAT 2020 notification, CLAT-2020 will be held on August 22 in online mode.
- The applicants can select up to three locations by July 10, 2020. Options can be entered according to the applicant’s order of preference.
- The Consortium of NLUs announced that all the necessary updates about the CLAT 2020 UG will be put up on the official Telegram channel of the consortium.
- The Consortium of NLU has also released a guide on exam preparation including all the details of the exam pattern and book suggestions. The consortium has also released subject-wise preparation along with the preparation tips.
- CLAT-Law Entrance Exam 2020 will have 22 participating NLUs, DBRANLU Haryana is a new addition.
CLAT Notification Highlights
|Exam Name||Common-Law Admission Test (CLAT)|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Conducting Body||CLAT Consortium|
|Number of Questions||150 for UG CLAT, 120 for PG CLAT|
|Type of questions||MCQs|
|Number of seats||UG-2538
|Number of test-takers||More than 50,000|
|Number of NLUs participating||22|
|Exam Purpose||Admissions to BA LLB, B.Sc LLB, BBA LLB, B.Com LLB, BSW LLB, and, LLM|
CLAT Eligibility Criteria 2021
The candidates who are appearing for the CLAT 2021 exams should be eligible under the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates who have completed 10+2 or any equivalent examination for national or state board are eligible.
- For the candidates belonging to General/ Other Backward Class (OBC) / Specially-abled categories should have obtained 45% marks.
- For the candidates belonging to Scheduled Class (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) categories should have obtained 40% marks.
- There is no age limit to appear for the CLAT – Law Entrance Exam. The Bar Council of India has removed the upper and lower age limit for admissions to law courses.
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam from a reputed university or board.
- Candidate should have scored 45% in the qualifying degree to appear for CLAT 2021. SC and ST candidates should have scored 40% marks to be qualified.
- Candidates who are appearing for the CLAT exam in March/April 2021 can also apply, providing evidence of passing the qualifying exam at the time of admission.
- The candidate should have passed LLB or equivalent exam from a reputed university.
- The candidates belonging to General/OBC/PWD/NRI/PIO/OCI categories should have scored a minimum of 55%, while candidates belonging to SC/ST should have scored a minimum of 50% marks.
- Candidates appearing for CLAT – Law Entrance Exam in April/May 2021 are also eligible for the exam.
CLAT 2021 Exam Dates
|Start of online application form||To be notified|
|Deadline for submitting the application form||To be notified|
|Issue of Admit Card||To be notified|
|CLAT 2021 Law Entrance Exam Date||To be notified|
|Release of provisional answer key||To be notified|
|Objection window||To be notified|
|Release of final answer key||To be notified|
|Declaration of CLAT 2021 Law Entrance Exam result||To be notified|
|Start of counselling||To be notified|
CLAT Selection Process 2021
Candidates who are willing to take admissions in NLUs or law schools accepting CLAT scores should follow a step by step process mentioned below:
Online Application – The candidates can visit the official website to fill the application form for CLAT-Law Entrance Exam. Candidates should follow the below steps to apply for the examination.
- Step 1: Once the candidate visits the official page and clicks on the ‘Register Button’, the registration page appears on the screen, the candidate should fill all the necessary details like name, mobile number and password. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number to activate the CLAT login account.
- Step 2: After the account is activated, the candidate should upload their photo and signature. The signature should be a scanned copy. Then, the candidate should enter their personal details, communication details, qualifying examination details, test centre preference, college preference and reservation category.
- Step 3: Once the application form is filled, the candidate should pay the CLAT fee which is as follows:
|Category||Application Fee||Application Fee with Question Papers|
|General/OBC/PWD/NRI/ PIO/ OCI||Rs. 4000||Rs. 4500|
|SC/ ST/BPL||Rs. 3500||Rs. 4000|
- Step 4: The application form is complete now. The candidate can download the application form for future reference and click the submit button to submit the application.
CLAT – Law Entrance Exam Day Guidelines
- As per the CLAT notification 2021, the candidates with a temperature of more than 99.14% should give their exam in isolation lab of the NLU.
- If there is a scribe with the candidate, then both of them should carry their own N95 masks.
- As per the CLAT exam notification 2021, things to carry to the venue include:
- Personal transparent water bottle
- Personal hand sanitizer
- Simple pen
- Exam related documents like Admit card, ID card etc.
- The candidates carrying mobile phones will be asked to switch off and keep it at the designated location and collect it while returning back.
CLAT Exam Pattern Changes – UG
- The number of MCQs are reduced to 150 from 200.
- The question paper will be like the 12th-grade level.
- The quantitative section of the question paper will be of 10th standard level.
- The UG CLAT 2020 exam preparation guide is here.
CLAT Exam Pattern Changes – PG
- The CLAT 2021 -PG question paper will have 120 MCQs which should be completed in 120 minutes.
- Only if the candidates score 40% (35% in case of SC, ST & PWD) marks in the objective paper, their descriptive paper will be checked.
CLAT Admit Card 2021
Once the application form is submitted, the candidate will receive the admit card to appear for the examination. The admit card of CLAT 2021 will have all the details about the candidate who is appearing for the examination, the location of the exam center where the candidate will write their exam, and the test schedule.
The admit is required while writing the exam and later while completing the admission formalities like counseling. So, the candidate should handle the admit card with care and keep it undamaged until the admission procedure is completed. To download the admit card, the candidate should follow the below steps.
How to download Admit Card 2021?
Step 1: Visit the official site, consortiumofnlus.ac.in.
Step 2: Click on the download admit card link appearing on the screen.
Step 3: A login window appears on the screen.
Step 4: The candidate should log in to the page by entering their mobile number password and security pin.
Step 5: Once the candidate logs into the page, the admit card for CLAT-Entrance Exam will appear on the screen.
Step 6: Finally, the candidate can access the admit card to download it for future use.
Candidates should appear for the exam
The admit card contains the location of the exam center where the candidates should write the CLAT 2021 examination. The timings for CLAT 2021 are from 3 pm to 5 pm. The candidates should note that they should be present at the location by 2 pm. Also, the candidates should carry their admit card and a valid photo ID proof with them.
CLAT Result 2021
According to CLAT Notification 2021, The results of the CLAT-Law Entrance Exam will be announced on the official website along with a provisional merit list for each NLU.
Courses Offered through CLAT
The National Law Universities in India and other top colleges offer five-year LLB courses and LLM courses to the eligible candidates. The courses offered are as follows:
- BA LLB (Bachelor of Arts LLB)
- BSc LLB (Bachelor of Science LLB)
- BCom LLB (Bachelor of Commerce LLB)
- BBA LLB (Bachelor of Business Administration LLB)
- BSW LLB (Bachelor of Social Work LLB)
- LLM (Master of Laws)
CLAT Exam Centers 2021
The new list of exam centers will be presented according to the latest CLAT 2021 notification. The CLAT- Law Entrance Exam will be conducted at 203 locations across the country. In the previous year, there were a total of 67 locations across the country.
The addition of new centers is because of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the new additions in exam centers, the candidates need not travel too far to give their exams during this pandemic. While filling the application form, the candidate should also enter the exam center of their choice, which is nearer to their location.
CLAT Exam Centers List 2021
CLAT Notification 2021 – Law Entrance Exam Center Instructions
On the day of the examination, the candidate should consider the below instructions while appearing for the exam:
- Candidates who are appearing for the exam should reach the exam location one hour before the exam timings. The exam begins at 3 pm, so the candidate should be present there at 2 pm. The test officials will allow the candidates to enter the exam hall only after they check the candidate’s admit card and documents.
- The candidates should carry one valid photo ID proof like the voter ID, passport, PAn card, Aadhar card/Enrollment slip, etc. Any of the documents can be carried to the examination.
- Candidates should carry one HB pencil and two pens either black or blue color. The exam will be held offline where the candidates should mark the answers on the OMR sheet.
- Candidates should be very careful and follow the instructions given by exam officials about frisking, admit card, signing the attendance sheet, and writing the examination.
- Candidates should make sure not to carry a few items in the examination hall. The items can be mobile phones, notes/ books/ study material, watch, earphones/ headphones, sunglass, etc.
CLAT Exam Pattern 2021
The concerned authority has reversed its decision on conduction the CLAT 2021 in comprehension based test mode. In this updated version, the exam consists of objective type questions from the existing syllabus. While the candidate is appearing for CLAT, he/she should thoroughly understand the exam pattern for CLAT 2021.
Following the guidelines of the syllabus and the exam pattern will help the candidates in preparing well and scoring good marks to be eligible for top colleges. Through a thorough study on the exam pattern, the candidates will get various details about the types of questions asked, total and section-wise questions asked, marking scheme, and mode of exam.
The applicants kindly note that the key changes to the CLAT exam pattern are also made with respect to the reduction in the number of questions. The questions asked will be from various topics like Quantitative Techniques, English, Current Affairs, Deductive Reasoning, and Logical Reasoning.
CLAT Exam Pattern for Undergraduate
|Mode of Examination||Online|
|Duration of Examination||2 hours|
|Type of Questions||MCQ|
|Total Number of Questions||150|
|Negative Marking||0.25 marks will be deducted for each incorrect attempt|
CLAT Exam Pattern for Undergraduate
|Mode of Examination||Online|
|Duration of Examination||2 hours|
|Type of Questions||Objective Type|
|Total Number of Questions||120|
|Negative Marking||0.25 marks will be deducted for each incorrect attempt|
CLAT Syllabus 2021
The candidates can consult the official syllabus of CLAT 2021 to find out the subjects and topics included in the CLAT 2021 exam. The CLAT authorities have released the CLAT syllabus which contains subject-wise topics, the pattern of questions, and marking scheme for both UG and PG courses. With the exact syllabus, the candidates can study only which is necessary and utilize their time more productively.
CLAT Syllabus for UG Students
|English||● comprehension passages
● word meanings
● incorrect/correct sentences
● profit and loss
● time and work average, speed and distance
● permutation-combination and Venn diagrams
● statistical estimation
|General Knowledge & Current Affairs||● Static general knowledge including History, Polity, Geography, Environment, etc.
● Current affairs- national of national and international importance, sports, new appointments, awards and honours etc.
|Logical Reasoning||● Logical and Analytical reasoning skills|
|Legal Aptitude||● Study of law
● Research aptitude
● Problem-solving ability
● Questions based on hypothetical situations
● Important court decisions
CLAT Syllabus for LLM
|Constitutional Law||Law of Torts|
|Administrative law||Criminal Law|
|Family law||Labour and industrial law|
|Property law||Public international law|
|Intellectual Property Law||International Law|
|Tax law||Law of Contracts|
CLAT Marking Scheme 2021
The marks distribution for UG and LLM programs are given below:
CLAT Subject wise Marks Distribution for UG
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Marks|
|English and comprehension||28-32 questions||28 – 32|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||13-17 questions||13 – 17|
|General Knowledge and Current Affairs||35-39 questions||35 – 39|
|Logical Reasoning||28-32 questions||28 – 32|
|Legal Aptitude||35-39 questions||35 – 39|
CLAT Subject wise Marks Distribution for LLM Programme
|Subject||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Other Law Subjects such as Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, IPR and Jurisprudence.||60||60|
CLAT Sample Paper 2021
The sample papers for CLAT PG 2021 have been released on April 15. If a candidate is preparing for any national-level exam like CLAT, he/she should try all the tricks possible. One of the most effective tricks is to solve sample question papers of previous years or the current years. These question papers will have questions similar to those asked in the exam.
Doing so, the candidate will be ready for the exam at a higher level. Hence, the candidate will be confident while appearing for the exam. The problem-solving ability of the candidate should be higher to keep up with time management. The previous year’s question papers act as effective materials because they will give a complete idea to the candidates on the type of questions that will appear in the current year.
CLAT Mock Test Series 2021
Taking mock tests before appearing for the examination is also a trick to score well. The mock tests act as simulations of the real thing as the candidates learn about the structure of the exam. Mock tests give the pictorial representation of how the actual CLAT exam will look like. The mock tests will also indicate the time passed and time left. This helps the candidate in better time management which will help the candidate in succeeding the examination more easily. To add an advantage to taking up the mock tests, the candidate can take up the test at the same time every day.
CLAT Preparation Tips 2021
The best law schools in the country are the NLUs. It is the reason why more number of students appear for the CLAT exam and make the competition harder. To properly prepare for the CLAT- Law Entrance Examination, the candidate should follow a few tips that will help in the examination:
- It is better to start the preparation well in advance, say a year before the commencement of the exam. It helps the candidate to cover the entire syllabus.
- The candidate can prepare an actionable study time-table that will help him/her to be on the track during the preparations.
- The candidates should better keep a good number of books to refer to whenever necessary. Also, the language should simple and clear so as to understand the points easily rather than wasting time on unnecessary things.
- Candidates should solve previous year question papers and also solve mock tests to create an exam-like vibe.
- The candidate should always revise what is been studied. It helps the candidate to get through difficult subjects more easily.
CLAT Answer Key 2021
Once the candidate finishes the examination, a provisional answer key of CLAT 2021 will be released. As the question paper will be in four codes A, B, C, & D, the answer keys will also be released in the same form. The main aim of releasing the answer keys is that the candidates can compare their answers with the provisional answer key to get an idea of approximate scores that the candidate will receive. The candidate has an option to challenge the key if he/she feels the answer provided in the answer keys is wrong.
CLAT 2021 Results
Once the authorities release the answer keys, the results of CLAT 2021 will also be declared. To check the CLAT 2021 results, the candidate should follow the below steps:
- The candidate should click on the result link to view their results.
- After clicking on the link, the candidate will be directed to a log-in window.
- Once the log-in page appears on the screen, the candidate should enter the registration/application number and date of birth.
- According to the CLAT notification pdf, the result will appear on the screen, which will be in a downloadable pdf format.
CLAT 2021 Merit List
According to the official CLAT Notification 2021, The candidates who appeared for the offline exam can check the CLAT 2021 merit list at the result declaration time. The authorities will release nearly three merit lists of CLAT 2021. These merit lists will be institute-specific and will contain details like the name of the merit list candidate, category, state, and category-rank. The merit list results will be helpful in shortlisting candidates for counseling and making seat allotments.
CLAT 2021 Counselling
The NUSRL, Ranchi will conduct the CLAT 2021 counseling and seat allotment process in online mode. Only CLAT-qualified candidates can participate in the counseling process. So, those who are eligible will issue the counseling call letters that should be downloaded. After registering for the counseling process, the candidate should fill their preferences and lock them.
CLAT 2021 Seat Allotment
The qualified candidates will be allotted seats in the 22 participating NLUs in three rounds. The seat allotment process will be carried out for both UG and PG courses. The result of the seat allotment will include the details like the state (or All India) rank of the candidate, category, admit card number, and also the status of admission. Once the candidate is allotted a set, he/she should pay the concerned fee and complete the other formalities to reserve their seats. If a candidate wants to withdraw/shift seats, then he/she can do so before the start of seat allotment rounds.
CLAT Cut-off Marks 2021
The candidates who are willing to participate in NLU should reach the minimum cut-off of the CLAT 2021 exams. The exam cut-off varies for all the categories that the candidates belong to. If any candidate scores below the CLAT cutoff rank, then he/she will not be eligible for the examination.
CLAT Cut-off for LLM Objective Paper
The candidates who are willing to opt for LLM should score a minimum of 40% marks to qualify in the MCQ paper. Those who belong to SC, ST & PWD should have obtained 35% marks. The descriptive paper of only those candidates who clear the objective paper will be evaluated. The MCQ paper will have 100 objective type questions.
CLAT Previous Year Cut Off Marks
|Name of NLU||General||SC||ST|
|Opening Rank||Closing Rank||Opening Rank||Closing Rank||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|NLU Odisha Cuttack||465||953||6276||10310||9832||21681|
CLAT Participating Institutes
Totally, there are 22 NLUs that are participating institutes of CLAT 2021. The NLUs are government institutes. Whereas, there are 52 other private institutes that use CLAT scores for admission purpose. The institute details are given below:
|S. No||Name of NLU||CLAT UG Seats||CLAT PG Seats|
|20.||HPNLU Shimla 120 20||120||20|
Private Universities that use CLAT Score 2021
|1.||Alliance University, Bangalore|
|2.||Jaipur National University|
|3.||Geeta Institute of Law|
|4.||Aryans College of Law, Rajpura, Chandigarh|
|5.||RNB Global University|
|7.||Indore Institute of Law|
|8.||Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, Jaipur|
|9.||Lloyd Law College|
|10.||NIMT Institute of Method and Law ( NIMT Vidhi Evam Kanun Sansthan )|
|12.||Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science|
|13.||ITM University Raipur|
|14.||Maharshi Law School, Maharshi University of Information Technology|
|15.||Renaissance Law College|
|16.||Teri Schools of Advanced Studies|
CLAT Fee Structure 2021
According to CLAT Notification 2021, The fee structure of the CLAT-Law Entrance Exam varies from one NLU to another. The below tables give the fee structure for UG and PG courses.
CLAT 2021 UG Fee Structure
|1.||NLSIU, Bangalore||Rs. 2,62,000 p.a.||Rs. 2,58,875 p.a.|
|2.||NALSAR, Hyderabad||Rs.2,42,000 p.a.||Rs. 2,36,000 p.a.|
|3.||NLIU, Bhopal||Rs.2,40,250 p.a.||Rs.2,40,250 p.a.|
|4.||WBNUJS, Kolkata||Rs.1,96,200 p.a.||–|
|5.||NLU, Jodhpur||Rs.1,41,500 p.a.||–|
|6.||HNLU, Raipur||Rs.1,75,000 p.a.||–|
|7.||GNLU, Gandhinagar||Rs.2,36,000 p.a.||–|
|8.||RMLNLU, Lucknow||Rs.1,19,000 p.a.||–|
|9.||RGNUL, Punjab||Rs.2,06,000 p.a.
|10.||CNLU, Patna||Rs.2,04,000 p.a.||–|
|11.||NUALS, Kochi||Rs.2,07,000 p.a.(outside Kerala) Rs.2,06,800 p.a. (in Kerala)||–|
|12.||NLUO, Odisha||Rs.1,71,000 p.a.||–|
|13.||NUSRL, Ranchi||Rs.2,27,000 p.a.||–|
|14.||NLUJA, Assam||Rs.2,19,000 p.a.||–|
|15.||DSNLU, Visakhapatnam||Rs.2,00,000 p.a.
|16.||TNNLU, Tiruchirappalli||Rs.2,23,000 p.a.||–|
|17.||MNLU, Nagpur||Rs.2,20,750 p.a. (for Maharashtra) Rs.2,47,000 p.a. (for non-Maharashtra)||–|
|18.||MNLU, Aurangabad||Rs.2,13,490 p.a. (for Maharashtra) Rs.2,45,250 p.a. (for non-Maharashtra)||–|
|19.||HPNLU, Shimla||Shimla Rs.2,20,500 p.a.
|20.||MPDNLU, Jabalpur||Rs.2,70,000 p.a (Girls) Rs.2,50,000 p.a.(Boys)||–|
CLAT PG Fee Structure 2021
|1.||NLSIU, Bangalore||Rs.1,89,500 p.a.||Rs.1,86,375 p.a.|
|2.||NALSAR, Hyderabad||Rs.1,75,000 p.a.||Rs.1,69,000 p.a.|
|3.||NLIU, Bhopal||Rs.2,06,250 p.a.||–|
|4.||WBNUJS, Kolkata||Rs.1,45,000 p.a.||–|
|5.||NLU, Jodhpur||Rs.1,14,000 p.a.||–|
|6.||HNLU, Raipur||Rs.1,03,500 p.a.||–|
|7.||GNLU, Gandhinagar||Rs.1,80,000 p.a.||–|
|8.||RMLNLU, Lucknow||Rs.79,000 p.a.||–|
|9.||RGNUL, Punjab||Rs.1,62,000 p.a.
|10.||NUALS, Kochi||Rs.1,48,000 p.a. (outside Kerala) Rs. 1,47,800 p.a. (for Kerala)||–|
|11.||NLUO, Odisha||Rs.1,11,000 p.a.|
|12.||NUSRL, Ranchi||Rs.2,03,000 p.a.||–|
|13.||NLUJA, Assam||Rs.1,89,500 p.a.||–|
|14.||DSNLU, Visakhapatnam||Rs.1,80,000 p.a.
|15.||TNNLU, Tiruchirappalli||Rs.1,74,000 p.a.||Rs.1,68,000 p.a.|
|16.||MNLU, Mumbai||Rs.2,15,000 p.a. (for Maharashtra) Rs. 2,26,000 p.a. (All India)||–|
|17.||MNLU, Nagpur||Rs.1,54,250 p.a. (for Maharashtra) Rs. 1,73,000 p.a. (All India)||–|
|18.||HPNLU, Shimla||Rs.1,71,500 p.a.
CLAT Notification FAQs
Q) What is the good rank to get into the top NLU?
A) As per the CLAT exam notification, 2021 pdf, closing rank for admission to the BA LLB course during the last year was: General - 58, ST - 2575, SC - 2018, and PwD - 2733.
Q) How many candidates appear for CLAT every year?
A). More than 50,000 candidates appear for CLAT-Law Entrance exam every year.
Q). Do all the law courses intake students based on CLAT scores?
A). No, only the 22 NLUs that are participating in CLAT-Law Entrance Exam and other private universities use CLAT scores for admissions.
Q). What is the importance of CLAT 2021 examination for law aspirants?
A). There are top 22 NLUs which intake students based on their CLAT scores. Also, many other top private colleges intake students as per their CLAT scores.
Q) How can I apply for CLAT 2021?
A) Go to the official website of CLAT (www.consortiumofnlus.ac.in/) to apply online for CLAT. The CLAT registration last date is 10th July 2020, candidates who are willing to sit in the CLAT exam should do the registration before the last date. Click Here (Link of Application Form) to know the complete CLAT Application Form Process 2021.